Thursday, April 18, 2024

Words

 

a·skance
/əˈskans/
adverb
with an attitude or look of suspicion or disapproval.
 
 
This morning I was reading my book and I came upon a word I did not know "askance." (He looked at me askance in a way that reminded me...) I looked it up and found the meaning as listed above. I asked my husband if he knew this word and he did not. I told him the meaning. He said the writer could have just used the word suspiciously instead. I countered,  but maybe others use this word in their everyday language just as I have always used "henceforth."  As a child I had heard someone, probably in a movie,  say henceforth and I loved it. I decided to use in my everyday conversations (strange as it might have been) and henceforth continue to use it instead of "from now on." I texted my daughter Aria and asked if she was familiar with "askance". She replied "I use that word. Must be one of my versions of "henceforth." Then she added "Well I'll never forget when I was a kid reading the Bronte sisters and I told you that someone ejaculated and you said "What!!"  and I said "yeah that means they yelled something" and you said "Okay don't say that." 
Getting back to my conversation about "henceforth" I continued,  I think when the mailman comes today I'll say "Halt! Who goes there!"


No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin