Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Continuous Birthday Celebration


Though Birthdays come but once annually (thank goodness) their celebrations can be joyously innumerable.




Last night my dearest and best friend Mary hosted a dinner for me. This is something we've done for each other throughout our adult years. She is my best friend and we have known each other since the "third grade."

I want to blog about our friendship but that's a long ,long story so it will have to be saved for another time.





The night was filled with the kind of comfort that comes from being with an old friend. She is family to me. So many stories, so many jokes, so much history between us...things that do not need words. Everything about being with her is comfortable and secure and timeless.
I love her so much that if I stop to ponder the depth of what her friendship means to me I start to cry. We have shared so much of each others lives... great joys, great sorrows, great blessings. We shared our youth and all the adventures that come with growing up together. When you have this kind of history and longevity with someone it is quite a treasure. Mary is such an important part of my life. She is a part of me. A part of my spirit and my joy. No one could ask for a better or more faithful friend.
The cake she served is called "The Paradise Cake". What a lovely name for a cake. It did taste heavenly!






My brother and his wife and my sister and her husband along with Mary's husband David were there with Mike and I. She served a wonderful dinner. It's always warm and cozy in their home.


Here's a photo of two best friends that have known each other since they were in the third grade!


Best Friends Forever

Barb and Mary

"Each friend represents a world in us, a world not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born." by Anais Nin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely post about such special friendships. Those of us who have a "Mary kind of friend" are really lucky, aren't we?
Sheri

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin