Friday, January 2, 2009

VENICE City of Dreams and Obsessions


The very first time I ever set foot in Venice was the summer of 1971. I kept a journal on that trip... "August 13th, Friday Venice, Italy. We started on the road at 8:30 and made good time to Venice. We are camped on an island called Lido. Shopped in Piazza San Marco-this is one of the happiest days I've ever known...pigeons in the piazza-bells ringing-music everywhere-artists painting in the square..."

Years before my mother had taken me to see Katherine Hepburn and Rosanno Brazzi in the movie "Summertime". It had left a clear imprint on my heart of how life changing this trip was for the woman in the movie. I remember the camera panning toward Venice as the train that she was riding got closer and closer to this city on the water. She had this look of longing and discovery and complete and overwhelming joy on her face. When I first saw Venice I finally understood what that look meant. I felt it in my heart. I fell in love with Venice completely from the moment I arrived there.

Christmas 2006 Aria was living in Italy. She sent me a beautiful book of photographs of Venice. The title "VENEZIA Citta` di sogni e ossessioni" (VENICE City of dreams and obsessions). She wrote this: "Dear Momma, The author's dedication in this book reads "A mia madre...spirito mite in un mondo instabile"--"To my mother...warm spirit in an uncertain world."

Thank you for always being such a warm spirit in my life, for encouraging me not to be afraid of each new adventure..."


I suppose everyone has some special place that touches them in unforgettable ways... for me Venice is one of those places...magical, mysterious and beautiful.

6 comments:

BipolarBunny said...

That is a great picture.

Holly said...

this morning your post made me cry...i've never been to Venice. and Aria is so right - you are a warm spirit in an uncertain world. thank you for being my friend...

barb cabot said...

Holly, your friendship is a gift to us.

CrazyBunnyLady, I cannot take credit for the photo. It's just something I found and loved, but I do agree it captures something special about the city.

Anonymous said...

Barb, millions of mothers would give anything to have their daughters say such words to them. You have created something very special in the lives of your girls. Thank you for sharing and for your beautiful way with words.

barb cabot said...

Jane, you must feel that same kind of love when Casey puts his arms around you and says, "I Love You". I appreciate your kind thoughts so much.

Anonymous said...

Barb, what a beautiful sentiment for your daughter to express!

I also loved the movie Summertime, how that trip and Venice itself opened up her heart. It's amazing what Venice (and Italy) can do!

My first trip to Italy was accidental, I was stranded after a business trip and wound up in Venice. I've been in love with both Italy and Venice since then!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin