Thursday, February 12, 2009

Expressing your love in Italian


Again I must apologize as I do not know who to credit the following translations. I belong to several italian language internet sites which send me daily and/or weekly messages. This is one that I saved. The following are ways to express your feelings for someone in italian:


Mi piaci - I like you
This is a non-committing assertion.

Over time you could raise it a little by saying:
Mi piaci tanto - I like you a lot.

Ti aspetto - I'll be waiting for you
Some variances of this phrase:
Aspetto la tua chiamata - I'll be waiting for you call;


As we live in the Internet age:
Aspetto il tuo email - I'll be waiting for your email.

Non vedo l'ora di vederti - I look forward to see you You can use this sentence for regular friends too.
Or you can add this after Mi piaci or Ti aspetto.

Mi manchi - I miss you
A stronger variance: Mi manchi tanto - I miss you a lot

Ti mando un bacio - I'm sending you a kiss
Nice closing for an email or phone communication. Not to be said in person, as at that point, you can just kiss your loved one.

Ti voglio bene - I care for you
There is no precise translation in English for it.
You could use it with a friend to express friendship love, or with somebody you love but you are not ready yet for the more intimate declaration I love you.
Widely used in Italy, it can be abbreviated in text messages as TVB.

Mi sto innamorando di te - I'm falling in love with you
Another variance is Mi sono innamorato di te (said by a male) or
Mi sono innamorata di te (said by a female) and they both mean I (already) fell in love with you.

Ti amo - I love you This is the intimate and romantic expression of love.
You'll not use it with a relative or friend. In that case it's more appropriate:
Ti voglio bene.



6 comments:

Sandrac said...

Lovely, Barb! I especially like TVB (I know, text-message abbreviations won't cut it in Italian class.)

A wonderful take on the Valentine's Day sentiment.

Anonymous said...

Very nice, Barb. I shall share con mi amore.

Anonymous said...

I'll have to try a few of these this weekend!
I wanted to drop by and say hello and let you know that you won a drawing over at my blog. I just need your address to send your gift to. Thank you so much for visiting...Have a wonderful weekend!

the inspired, herself said...

BARB! You WON my OWOH giveaway! Yaaaaaay! Please visit the post again at http://macrifotografia.blogspot.com/2009/01/one-world-one-heart.html and email me at bem@macriphotograph.com to let me know which print you'd like...and your address too!
:)
Bess

Anonymous said...

I love this post. I have known a few ways but now I will be prepared when I meet my handsome prince in Italy :) Next step is meeting him!

Chiocciola said...

Romantic words in a romantic language... ah... It is great that you are taking your Italian studies so seriously!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin