Sunday, February 8, 2009

How I Found My Peeps





Shannon Essa





The following is a little history on how I discovered the Slowtravel website and how through this venue, met others, who enjoy the benefits of travelling slow. It all began with planning a trip to Italy summer 2005. Thinking about and planning an itinerary are as rewarding for me as the trip itself. It's really part of the whole journey. I knew I wanted to be based in Florence where my daughter was living at the time but I also wanted to explore a few other key places since I was taking my younger daughter who had never been to Italy before. I knew I wanted to rent an apartment but where to begin? The AOL travel boards that I had used in the late 1990's was not very active so I just started blindly searching the internet. This method was unpredictable and I questioned how reliable. For every apartment that had nice descriptions and photos I wondered about the authenticity. The apartment in Florence was a bit easier as I could always ask my daughter to go in person to check but what about other cities? I was fortunate to find a beautiful looking apartment in Venice, overlooking a main canal just a couple of bridges away from the Bridge of Sighs but I needed a recommendation from a previous renter. I wrote to the apartment owner who lived in Austria. Though he normally did not do this he said he had a previous renter who had offered to be a reference. That person turned out to be a lovely correspondant from San Diego. She vouched wholeheartedly for the apartment and further, asked me if I had a copy of a book called, "Chow Venice" (a guide to restaurants and bars in Venice). She swore by this book and said she had met one of the two authors, Shannon Essa who really knew what she was writing about. She then impressed upon me that if I couldn't get the book she would send me "her" copy. It was "a must have item", she stated. So I bought the book (devoured the book) and earmarked all the places we should eat at. In reading this, there were various mentions about the slowtravel website. One day I clicked http://www.slowtrav.com/ and gave it a look. Immediately I felt like I had found a home. At long last, here was a "one stop shop" for all my travel needs and I don't mean a place to buy things. I started reading trip reports that others had written about their journeys, recommendation for restaurants, hotels, and yes, even apartment reviews from people that had just rented places. Though you can read about trips around the world I focused on Italy and found a wealth of information. Too late for this trip as I had already booked apartments in each of the cities I was going to, but here were recommendations on things "not to miss", great places and things to do from first hand visitors that had just come back from their trips. How to's of all sorts from renting cars to finding a specialty item. If you are planning a trip anywhere or even if you are not planning but just dreaming, take a look at this website. If you can tear yourself away from the trip reports or if you have any questions on travel you can go to the community "forums and message boards". Here you can ask away about any travel question. The catagories are divided into all areas of the globe. There are people on the boards that can give you tips on every aspect of travel. Since that initial introduction I have become an active participant on the message board and have been able to "pay it forward", if you will, by offering my little bits of travel experience with others. In the process of frequenting these boards I've discovered a grand community of people. In other words: " I have found my PEEPS!" Of course their love of travel and exploration are common threads. I have come to enjoy their thought processes and discoveries of places around the world and their adventurous spirits. Often these slowtravellers will meet up at impromptu or planned get-togethers around the world. These are referred to as "GTG's". The SlowBowl in Paso Robles was one of those GTG's.
Here's a little Post Script: Slowtravellers: "How did you discover the slowtrav website?"

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a great story, Barb.

Anonymous said...

Barb - it is funny how many of us 'chanced' upon slowtravel. it was a google search with me late one night when I was thinking about a trip to Italy . . . the rest of history so to speak.

barb cabot said...

Jerry it's so nice to know we all found slowtrav...I like to think of it as a kind of DESTINY.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to read how you and other members arrived at this wonderful community. A Google search also brought me to Slowtrav, almost seven years ago. I feel like I know so many people from around the country and abroad even thought I have only met one in person, the lovely (and very funny) Anne (Andasamo).

barb cabot said...

I agree it's fun to hear how people discovered SlowTrav and how they met other slowtravellers. Now I'm enjoying how others stumbled upon the slowtrav website.

Sandrac said...

Barb, what a lovely story! I think that I, too, stumbled on Slow Travel when I was googling for travel information (in 2005!) I love the idea that it's destiny.

carol l mckenna said...

Barb ~ wonderful information ~ "slow travel" sounds wonderful & I love how you express it ~ "how I found my peeps ~ I am so glad to meet you and reading your blog ~ I will be back ~ Keep posting ~ Great job!

Hugs and namaste, Carol (artmusedog)

Chiocciola said...

Wonderful post, Barb! It is neat to see how you found Slow Travel and how much fun you have had with the community since then. Hope to see you out in California some time!

Anonymous said...

I found SlowTravel through that great friend of ours, Palma. :)

Great story, Barb!

barb cabot said...

Chiocciola, ditto on seeing you in California or anywhere. I look forward to meeting you!

Anonymous said...

Barb, that is a great story! I remember you and Mike coming to that first GTG at Palma's, really before you had posted much at all. Now look at you!! You really have found your peeps!

barb cabot said...

Kathy, you're right, in fact I don't think I had posted much of anything but I saw Palma's invitation and she was so welcoming. I had been reading the boards alot and had gotton to know many of you by your online names. I remember that night of the party so well. Meeting YOU and Jerry and Palma and Jane and so many others was amazing. I know I must have been over the top excited. I kept saying it felt like the reality show, "Dancing with the Stars". I also wanted to say that I've been really enjoying your blog and happy to see you are writing again but for some reason I cannot post to your blog. I'll keep trying.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading this! I found ST through Google and am so glad I did!

nancy said...

I love reading all your travel stories. I feel like I am right there with you!.

Anonymous said...

Barb, a really nice story, I think we all have a similar story about ST, but you said it well. And I thought it was going to be about those candy Easter chicks, LOL.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading your post also. I was searching for info on Italy when I found Slow Travel. I can't remember now if it was a link from another travel board or by using google. I did not realize there was more to Slow Travel than the Italy forum for almost a year!

Anonymous said...

Awesome, your entry is mentioned in the newsletter!! Fabulous post, Barb. Slow Travel can really be addictive, can't it? The boards, the reports, the reviews, the photos, everything! And I agree, the people are so warm and friendly :) Although I too have met only one in real life - the lovely (and also funny) Maria ♥

Anonymous said...

Very, very cool post, Barb! I missed it the first time around, so I'm happy that it is featured in the SlowTrav newsletter.
I found SlowTrav through the old AOL Italy board where I was "Livinwell". Pauline posted about her new travel website, I followed her there, and the rest is history, as they say. Or at least the rest is excessively documented in the SlowTalk archives. :grin:
GTGs are so much fun. My first two were on opposite coasts: One at Amy's in Boston. And one in San Diego for Shannon's book release party.
And, by the way, as Peeps go, you belong on the top shelf!!!

barb cabot said...

Deborah, so interesting to hear how you found SlowTrav...I'm sure there were so many of us on AOL at the same time but I was hanging out only on the French board in those years. Wow, you were at Shannon's book release party? That's pretty historic and very COOL!. Thank you for making room on the TOP Shelf. I really like the view from there "neighbor"!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin