Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Heart Shaped Cookies




1975



2008



It was just before Valentine's day in 1975 that I mentioned to a young 22 year old graduate student at UCLA that I was going to be baking heart shaped Valentine cookies for some of the staff and students in the Physics department. He told me that he liked to bake too so I invited him to come over to my apartment and bake cookies with me. We had a lot of fun that night. A few weeks later he invited me and another student over to his place for dinner. He cooked a great italian meal. I remember he was wearing a cute little orange knitted cap over his long hair. He was so funny and nice and the food was fantastic.

Often when Valentine's day nears, I think back on that night when I baked heart shaped cookies with that long haired guy named Mike, whom several years later I married.
It's a nice Valentine's memory.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barb, what a great story! Thanks for sharing. I bet it makes Valentines that more special to you.

Trekcapri said...

Hi Barb, great photos and I love how you included both the 1975 and present day photos. You look so cute in those pigtales and your husband looks cool with his long hair. Thank you for sharing this wonderful Valentine's memory with us.

Anonymous said...

Barb, thanks so much for sharing this very sweet and romantic story! Love seeing the "then and now" photos of you guys!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Anonymous said...

funny, I'm baking heart shaped cookies right now.
Happy Valentine's Day to both of you!

Ann

Holly said...

Mike should grow his hair long again!!

Anonymous said...

This is indeed a great story. I'll have to remember "ours" when I get to March. I've got nothing to say about Valentine's Day, except this year I get to spend it with my gbaby, and that is totally a cool thing. Are you sure that's Mike and not a George Harrison clone?

Anonymous said...

I love the story of how you met. How special that you were making heart shaped cookies on your first get together. Great photos!!

Anonymous said...

What a great start to your romance! The physics department . . . .?????? I had no idea you were all 'scientific'. *smile*

Anonymous said...

What beautiful photos of you and Mike! (And what a great pickup line he had in 1975 -- sure, he loved to bake!) Very sweet, and what a wonderful memory that makes for Valentine's Day!

nancy said...

what a beautiful story! i love reading your blogs!! that picture of you and mike in 'is priceless!
thanks for sharing!
nancy

nancy said...

what a beautiful story! thank you for sharing it with us all. i love the photo of you and mike in '75... priceless.. just like those cookies were i'm sure!

Anonymous said...

Barb, I love that story too! I just showed Charley the photos of you and Mike. Yes... Mike has definitely changed!

nancyhol said...

Barb, what a great story! And the pictures are priceless!

Hope you and Mike have a wonderful Valentine's Day. Be sure and bake some more cookies!

Anonymous said...

Happy V day, Barb & Mike. You two are just as cute today as you were way back when.

Teaberry

barb cabot said...

Hey Teaberry, you know I feel the same way about you! Happy to hear Manny made it home for the Valentine Holiday.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin