Saturday, February 5, 2011

Gee, You Look Snazzy!!

image: Seventeen Magazine c. 1967

I just read something which included the word "Snazzy". I haven't heard that word in a long time but I remember when I was younger, hearing people use it to describe something that was really cool. I started using it too long ago and then it just fell away from my vocabulary. It's a word that tickles me. I like it. Here's the definitions I found on line.


snazzy [ˈsnæzɪ]
adj -zier, -ziest
(Clothing & Fashion) Informal (esp of clothes) stylishly and often flashily attractive
[perhaps from sn(appy + j)azzy]
snazzily adv
snazziness n
hc_dict()
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003
ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Adj.
1.
snazzy - flashily stylish; "a snazzy outfit"
colloquialism - a colloquial expression; characteristic of spoken or written communication that seeks to imitate informal speech
stylish, fashionable - having elegance or taste or refinement in manners or dress; "a little less posh but every bit as stylish as Lord Peter Wimsey"; "the stylish resort of Gstadd"
wn()
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2008 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
snazzy
adjective (Informal) stylish, smart, dashing, with it (informal), attractive, sophisticated, flamboyant, sporty, flashy, jazzy (informal), showy, ritzy (slang), raffish snazzy swimsuits
hc_thes()
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin