Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Reminiscing

1983 In this photo my husband Mike and I had just recently found out we were expecting our first child. We were both so happy and excited.


Aria Zan Cabot, the light and love of our lives.

c. 1986 Summer fun we took Aria with us everywhere we went

She loved to paint and draw and play independently for hours upon hours.



How quickly the years flew by. Where did that little girl go?

August 2010 - Aria was our great tour guide in the southern region of Basilicata Italy. The roles were truly reversed as she looked after us. What a great memory that will always be for her dad and I.



Tomorrow is Aria's, 27th birthday. I've been looking over some of our old family photos. They make me laugh, they touch my heart with nostalgia and awe and give me pause to think how quickly the years go by.

Before I had my first child, I could not imagine the complex joy parenthood could bring. I could not fathom the depth to which the human heart could love. From the moment I first saw her, and held her in my arms and called her "ours" the love affair began.

When Aria was born, the miracle of her being was more amazing, and more meaningful than I could have ever imagined. It continues to be a gift and a blessing to be a mother to my children. To have been given the privilege to be a part of their lives, to watch them grow and develop into young adults has been beyond incredible to me.
I love the following passage by Kahlil Gibran. His words ring true in my soul. What a wonderful, miraculous part of my life it has been to be a part of their journey in life. Truly, truly a gift. I thank God for these blessings.

"Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit,
not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children's living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let our bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable. "~ Kahlil Gibran

14 comments:

Sandra said...

Barb, I love seeing you as a beautiful young mother to be, and all of the other photos too. Happy Birthday wishes to Aria !! And I too love the quote from Kahlil Gibran. He is one of my favorites. Beautiful post!!!gorpunde

Nancy said...

Oh Barbara, This is so beautiful that it brought tears to my eyes. I remember when you and I were expecting our first children together and your words here express so much of what I felt then and feel now about our wonderful children. We are indeed very lucky to be part of their growth and their lives. I want to share your words with all the family and especially with our girls. Happy birthday to Aria and to you and Mike. Oh and I love the lipstick in your first photo, so beautiful you are.

Tahitigurl22 said...

awww auntie barb.. i LOVEd this blog entry! =] soo sweet! Aria is so lucky to have such a great mom and dad =]

Anne said...

Barb, what an incredibly moving and poignant post. You brought warmth and light into my world this morning - thank you! My own Sara turned 21 yesterday, and Moira turns 15 on Friday...where have the years gone?!

Kahlil Gibran is one of my favourite poets, and I especially love his words on children that you have shared above!! :)

Trekcapri said...

Hi Barb, this is such a beautiful Birthday post for your daughter, Aria. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful family photos and special moments with us.

barb cabot said...

Anne Happy Birthdays to both Moira and Sara. (and happy birth day to you). I have loved reading your blog about your lovely family journey.

Nancy, I remember well the weekend we went camping together with you and Steve. I have a picture somewhere of us both sitting on the beach at Carpinteria, smiling and pregnant. It's been great sharing these years with you.

carol l mckenna said...

How quickly times flies ~ trite but true ~ your family is beautiful ~ sending many blessings your way ~ and of course, love Kahlil Gibran ~ hugs and namaste, cz:)

Holly said...

o Barb - you put all MY feelings into words...thank you for sharing these memories...Jordan turns 27 on March 20th and I'm headed to NY to celebrate with her. Our precious daughters...what a blessing and a gift they are to us...I can never stop being grateful for one moment...

Jane said...

Barb, this is so lovely--a wonderful gift to Aria on her birthday. To know that you have been loved and cherished--even before arriving on earth--gives such a sense of worth and comfort. Lucky Aria--lucky you and Mike.

nancyhol said...

Barb, what a beautiful post in honor of your daughter's birthday.

Great photos! I'm sure they bring back wonderful memories.

Rane Anderson said...

I loved reading this Barbara!!! Thanks for sharing! Ah...Italy! Both of our hearts rejoice at the thought. :-) I like the picture where the three of you are dressed in white. It's so cute!

Unknown said...

BEAUTIFUL post Barb. What special photos. I loved reading this so much ;)

sandrac said...

Such beautiful photos, Barb, and wonderful memories!

Unknown said...

Oh what a lovely poem, really made me treasure my role as a mum xxx

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin