Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Recipe for Thai Green Curry With Chicken



I experimented tonight with two recipes for Thai green curry with chicken. The first recipe came from this site and required you to make your own Green curry paste.
 http://thaifood.about.com/…/thairecip…/r/greencurrychick.htm
 When I went to my local asian market I saw a packet of ready made curry paste and decided I'd try that.
Here is what it looked like
 Here are the rest of the things I needed for the curry:
1 1/2 lbs. of boneless chicken thigh (cubed this and to this I added 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce and 1 Tbsp. Flour coated the chicken)
1 long asian Eggplant (cubed this and microwaved in some water til soft)
1 stalk fresh lemon grass minced
1 bunch of green onions (sliced at diagonal large with green part too)
3 cloves garlic minced
1 thumb size fresh ginger peeled and grated or minced
1 T. Fish sauce
1 loose cup fresh cilantro leaves and stems chopped
2 T. white sugar
1 1/2 (14 oz.) can of coconut milk
4 kaffir leaves (lime leaves) tearing the leaf away from either side of stem. discard central stem. Then using scissors cut leaves into thin strips. )  I did this but I also added a bunch more whole kaffir leaves just because I like the flavor. The recipes says if you cannot get these leaves try 1 tsp. of grated lime zest.
1 red or green bell pepper seeded and cut in chuncks
optional handful of green beans ( I used chinese long green beans) you can add any veges you like.
Generous handful of basil
2 Tbsp. peanut oil.


Directions.  Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in wok and quickly fry and brown your cubed and floured chicken.  Then set aside.  In the same pan heat 1 Tblsp. oil and use contents of green curry paste. Caution this creates a fairly "hot" curry in my opinion so you may want to ease up on the packet at first and add as you taste final product. Stir and heat for 2 min. Add onions, ginger, garlic and stir 2 min. Add veges and rest of ingredients. (I kept the chicken out until the last 30 minutes as I wanted to cook the veges and let the curry flavor incorporate. Simmer for 30 minutes and taste test the flavor of the curry. Add 1-2 Tbsp. of fish sauce if not salty enough or flavorful enough for you. If you prefer a sweeter curry add a little more sugar. If too salty add a squeeze of lime or lemon juice. If too spicy add mroe coconut milk. Note that this curry is a balance of salty, sweet  sour and spicy. I added the chicken and let it simmer with the curry veges and sauce for another 30 minutes.  Serve with Jasmine rice on the side. Top each portion with fresh basil. Enjoy.

This is what the lime leaves (keffir) looks like



No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin