Saturday, June 27, 2020

Easy Peasy Rhubarb Pie



Yesterday I made a rhubarb pie for the first time. It's my husband's favorite pie and I usually buy it at Polly's pies.  It is difficult to find a straight rhubarb pie so I was so pleased to find how easy this pie is to make. Here's the recipe:

Preheat over to 450 degrees
Ingredients:  
4 cups chopped rhubarb (cut in 1/2 inch pieces)
1 1/3 cups of sugar  *
6 Tablespoons flour
1 Tablespoon butter
1 egg
1 Tablespoon Milk
Pie crust (your favorite recipe). I used ready made roll out pastry for double crust pie. 

Directions:
In a bowl combine sugar and flour
Line pie pan with pie crust and sprinkle 1/4 cup of sugar/flour mixture on top of pie crust.
Mix the rest of the sugar/flour mixture into the chopped rhubarb and place the rhubarb into pie pan. Dot with the tablespoon of butter. Place top crust over rhubarb. I did a lattice top but if you are using the top pastry crust whole just cut a few slits to let the pie filling bubble through.



Egg wash:  Mix one egg with the tablespoon of milk and brush over top pastry crust.  







Bake pie at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. Lower heat to 350 and bake for 40-45 minutes. 




 *(I would use less sugar next time because my husband prefers a more tart pie. I will try 3/4 cup next time but you will need to adjust for your taste. I think 1 cup would work great for me.).

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin