Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Memories and Music from the Sansei Rocker Concert

 




 

I have been walking down memory lane since the "Sansei Rocker" concert I attended on Saturday. I guess music is the universal connector for all of us. It's when we hear a song and it makes us think of someone or a time or place in our lives and suddenly we are with that person or transported to another time in our life. Music is magical in that way. That is what happened to a whole audience of attendees at this past Saturdays concert. Songs that flooded radio stations during the 1960's and '70's. Songs of my youth and songs of a generation that loved Rock 'n Roll. A huge thank you to my dear friend Harry Manaka whom I first met a few years ago when he was doing research for his book "Chronicles of a Sansei Rocker". One of the members of Harry's band in the late 60's into the 70's was my cousin David Jingu. Harry looked upon David as a friend and as a brother. They played music in the band and even became business partners in a club called "Baby Lion". This was a hub for many young people to listen to live music, dance and gather. My cousin's life tragically was cut short but Harry has never forgotton David and keeps his memory alive to this day through the music Harry plays. A portion of Harry's book documents the highs and lows of the life they shared as aspiring musicians. During one portion of the concert on Saturday Harry poignantly talked about my cousin, telling of his expertise as a guitar player and their life together as band mates. I've been told many times how people admired David's musical skills. I guess a part of what I'm trying to say is thank you to Harry for playing songs that reminded me of my cousin. That took me back to seeing him as I did in those years. That was the walk I've been taking since the concert. Reflection on those that were part of my life and being transported to my youth. Music, especially live music with the band on stage is transformative. David Jingu you are remembered and loved.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin