Monday, April 6, 2009

A Perfect Ride

Before my husband was my husband, and in fact, before we started even going out we happened to live in the same neighborhood very close to our college campus. At the time, I drove an old model Toyota and he rode a very old and rusty Schwinn bike. (Much like this little mini bike pictured below.) He later told me he liked it that way because he didn't have to worry about anyone wanting to steal it.

One day as I was driving to school I saw him pedaling his bike uphill towards campus. I slowed down and honked my car horn and waved as I drove past him. I noted what an old bike it was. Soon after he arrived in my office on campus. After a few words I said, "I didn't think you'd ride such an old bike." He laughed and without missing a beat he said , "Well, I didn't think you'd drive such an old car!"
And this is sort of the way it all began...











After your first day of cycling, one dream is inevitable. A memory of motion lingers in the muscles of your legs, and round and round they seem to go. You ride through Dreamland on wonderful dream bicycles that change and grow. ~H.G. Wells, The Wheels of Chance

2 comments:

menehune said...

A classic story just like the bike! Thanks for sharing a chuckle and a memory. Menehune

candi said...

How sweet!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin