Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Long Ago Family Outings in Southern California


Pacific Ocean Park (POP)  My family circa 1960's
""POP," as it was soon nicknamed and pronounced, "pee-oh-pee" was a joint venture between CBS and Santa Anita Park. It opened on Saturday, July 28, 1958 with an attendance of 20,000. The next day, the park drew 37,262 which outperformed Disneyland's attendance figure that day. Admission was ninety cents for adults which included access to the park and certain exhibits. The term "POP" was also used as a clever acronym for "Pay One Price", though other rides and attractions were on a pay-as-you-go basis.
Like Disneyland, Pacific Ocean Park found corporate sponsors to share the expense of some exhibits. Six of the pier's original attractions were incorporated into the new park: The Sea Serpent roller coaster, the antique Looff carousel, the Toonerville Fun House, the Glass House, twin diving bells and more." -Wikipedia

 

PACIFIC OCEAN PARK 1958-1967















 


2 comments:

Yelapa Rob said...

I remember POP, and Marineland too. Whenever I'm nearby, I try and figure out where they were.

Yelapa Rob said...

I remember POP, and Marineland too. Whenever I'm nearby, I try and figure out where they were.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin