Friday, December 6, 2013

RIP Nelson Mandela



"I would like to be remembered not as anyone unique or special, but as part of a great team in this country that has struggled for many years, for decades and even centuries," he said. "The greatest glory of living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time you fall."

  • Born:  July 18, 1918, Mvezo, South Africa  
  • Died:  December 5, 2013

  •  Freedom fighter, prisoner, moral compass and South Africa's symbol of the struggle against racial oppression.
    That was Nelson Mandela, who emerged from prison after 27 years to lead his country out of decades of apartheid.
    His message of reconciliation, not vengeance, inspired the world after he negotiated a peaceful end to segregation and urged forgiveness for the white government that imprisoned him.
    "As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I'd still be in prison," Mandela said after he was freed in 1990. 

    "It is music and dancing that make me most at peace with the world." - Nelson Mandela



    No comments:

    Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin