Wednesday, February 5, 2020

A Look Back to 12 Years Ago_Old Travel email February 2008 Florence Italy

Wednesday Feb.  5, 2008 

 Hi everyone, 
       I arrived safely. The flight was smooth and all went well. I checked my bags in at LAX and didn't have anything to carry but my backpack. Flew direct to Frankfurt and had a 3 hr layover. That went fast and I had time to relax and to study some of my Italian xeroxed lessons. Weather was clear but cold. The skies were blue. I slept hardly at all on the plane mostly on purpose and watched "The Queen" with Cate Blanchett and "Michael Clayton" with George Clooney. Left frankfurt at 4:30 and arrived in Florence one hour and 10 minutes later.  I love the Florence airport. It's  cute and tiny and our plane had only 18 rows and only half full. It's  such a short flight you are up in the air, they give you flight directions and a drink-snack and you soon are landing.  I had butterflies landing only because I knew aria would be waiting for me at the gate. I don't know why but my eyes were tearing...I felt so happy to see her but I didn't want to get off the plane crying so I dried my eyes. My luggage was the first off the plane and no one was around. The airport was dead at 6 pm and no one even checked luggage or anything. By 6:10  I was with Aria who greeted me waving happily and we just made two quick rights out of the tiny bldg and were standing at the taxi cue. A minute later we were in the taxi heading for the apt.  Daniele was waiting for us at the apt. door and carried the luggage up two flights of stairs to the apt.  It's the same apt we were in last spring so it felt so familiar and wonderful to "come back to a place that felt like home" . Met Will the new roommate from the U.S. . who is getting his Master's here in ital. literature and language and Connie a very sweet German girl who is doing some work internship for three months. the other roommates Vita (Daniele's sister a nursing student) and Marino,  Daniele's brother a university graduate who is currently teaching English in a private school here in Florence. The apt. is large and well situated in a nice area about 15 minutes walk from il centro-Duomo area.  My room is the communal living area.  I like it a lot.  It's the tv room in the daytime. It has a blue couch and two big comfy leather lounging chairs and a tv and tall window doors that open to a small patio overlooking the garden and street below.  In the morning i can hear the cats meowing and the familiar sounds of cars and sirens from a nearby fire station. The sounds of the city remind me of the last time I was here in the spring and it feels like the city I remember dearly.  Aria and Daniele cooked a nice dinner for all of us.  We had wine and a platter of cheeses and meats and bread, pasta with a asparagus cream sauce and rolled veal and a kind of shish kabob with meat and veges. We all talked til 11:30. I was surprised that I had been up for so long and knew I could easily sleep through the night which I did! the adventures begin domani! ciao Barbara

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin