Thursday, July 30, 2020

A Good Realization


"Around 3 or 4 weeks ago, I fell into a bit of a low period. After more than a month of lock down, I was feeling sorry for myself and suffocated being cooped up with two small children and nowhere to hide. My  ted talk had happened virtually and my  appletv film had been launched - two of the biggest things in my career to date, that were relegated to happening in a living room.
I knew these were silly selfish thoughts, but, still, I wallowed. Here I was seemingly only wiping bums, taming tantrums and doing the dishes. Our year of travel had been cancelled halfway through, and I felt frustrated that I suddenly needed to work again, but couldn’t with two kids constantly needing my attention. There was no escaping them, and I couldn’t complete a thought without interruption.
At one point, I took them on a drive to give my wife some headspace when an ad on a local radio station  belfast89fm came on for a local restaurant  the speckled_hen where they wished everyone well during lockdown, including the line “those with young children don’t wish it way, as they grow up too fast.”
I looked in the rear view mirror at their two tiny faces and I had to pull over to wipe a tear or two away. Never before has such an awakening been hit over my head with such a hammer. What was meant to be a 20 min drive turned into a 2 hour rock pool adventure (ended only with the loss of a shoe... not mine) and the appearance of an anchor into a swirling vortex with which to pitch myself against. Thank you Jim from The Speckled Hen for the precise words at the precise moment to sway a man for the better, and remember the little fleeting moments." -Oliver Jeffers

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin