Tuesday, May 18, 2021

A Tahiti Memory

 When I was working at UCLA I knew a woman in my office whose son was sailing around the world. He wrote her the most amazing letters of sights he saw on his adventures. She would share those letters with me. He wrote about the beauty of the South Pacific and how he had fallen in love with the beauty of the island Bora Bora in Tahiti. I longed to go there. When Mike and I married in 1981 I wanted to honeymoon in Bora Bora but we could not afford that trip. Years later in 2002 when Aria and Athena were young teens we decided this was the year to make a family trip to fulfill my dream. It was as magical and beautiful as I had imagined and is still to this day a trip I’m so glad we made with the girls. We snorkeled, swam with sharks and with sting rays, visited a village that caught on fire when we were there, experienced a wonderful annual Heiva Tahitian festival where they raced with long sticks carrying bananas. We hiked in tropical forests to waterfalls and took a cooking class to make “Poisson Cru” a special Tahitian marinated fish. Actually that is the reason why I took out our scrapbook of the Trip this morning. Mike said he is going to make Poisson cru like we had in Tahiti. So that’s why I got caught up in photo memories this morning. I share that dream holiday with you. 

 

 See the source image

 Moorea

 

 

 Bora Bora


See the source image

 

 

Poisson Cru


See the source image

 

Ingredients

  • 1.75 pounds tuna (fresh,sushi grade)
  • 8  ( limes juiced)
  • 1 large onion (2.8 ounces)
  • 1 bell pepper (green)
  • 1 tomato (1.75 ounces)
  • 1/2 cucumber (3.5 ounces)
  • 1 glass of coconut milk
  • Kosher Salt (to taste)
  • Black pepper (to taste)

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin