Friday, July 16, 2021

Summers As A Kid in the 1950's

 As a child, I remember long hot endless summer days. We had no swimming pool so we turned on the sprinkler and had so much fun running through it. I played jacks on the porch steps, or hopscotch in our driveway. my brother made a skateboard out of a plank of wood and roller skate wheels. We rode our bikes. We had a huge back yard with tiered levels of every kind of fruit tree figs, plums, apricots, pomegranates and peaches. I’d pull fruit right off the tree and eat them all day long. My dad made us butterfly nets and we’d catch butterflies and then let them go. We didn’t have a tether ball but we had a tall pole in the back yard with a long rope. We had a large square piece of fabric and we stuffed a lot of rags in it to make a tether ball. We tied this to the rope on the pole. Just when I almost wrapped the ball around the pole for a win, I would give it a good hard punch and the ball would burst open and all the rags would go flying everywhere. Then we’d gather the rags and start all over again . Good times. My brother and I were just reminiscing about this the other day. We both agreed we had a wonderful childhood.

 

"A couple kids asked 

me today what it was

 like for me growing up...

...so I took 

their phones, shut off

their internet, gave them

a popsicle and told

them to go outside till

the street lights came on."
 

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin