Sunday, December 4, 2022

Celebrating Mary's Birthday

 


 

We had a lot of fun celebrating a belated birthday for my bff Mary last night. I had fun getting the house ready and the table set for the dinner party.


 





 

 At 5:00 flowers and a cake arrived from the Forlino family.


 



I had made another cake for Mary's birthday but that's a separate fiasco which will follow. 


 

We started the dinner with a special miso soup that Mike made.  (He took a class on making his own miso) and that is the base of the soup he served. 


 Then Mike air fried Korean beef ribs and this was served with steamed rice, potato salad, kim chee, and steamed broccoli. 

The air fryer worked fine but Mike had a lot of meat to bbq so it took some time.

During the meal I started to explain my fiasco trying to make Mary's birthday cake. 

 I had wanted to make a "naked cake". "  It's a style that omits the majority of the frosting you would typically see on the exterior of the cake. Layers are stacked with filling and often fruit and served with a scant outer layer of frosting. My friend Karie is a professional baker and owner of  a well known Long Beach bakery. Here is a picture of her beautiful 6" round naked cake. 

 


 

It was my inspiration. Yesterday when I was about to frost the cake I was out of the necessary powdered sugar for the frosting. So  my husband Mike made it for me by grinding granulated sugar and corn starch. (Who knew?) 

 As I was putting together the three layers it was not looking like I could successfully place the third layer onto the two other layers so I gave up on that. Put in on a plate to frost alone.

 

Here is the single layer frosted.

 


 As I was assembling the cake my doubts were creeping in. You can see here why I was thinking a third layer would not be wise.

In the end it all worked out and we managed to sing Happy Birthday to Mary. (Mike said I compensate for my poor ability to sing by singing LOUDER.)

 

 We all laughed at my version of the naked cake and as we determined there were bad and good sides. We asked Mary to turn the cake to a poorer side and make a sad face. She kindly obliged.



Mary made her wishes and she blew out the candles.


Wishing my   best friend forever a very happy and most healthy 

birthday year ahead. 



 

 


 

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin