Tuesday, April 25, 2023

A Gathering for "A Woman of Independent Means"

 


 Today I hosted a lunch for my sister Jocelyn and my friends Mitra and Marion.


 

A while back we had talked about a book by Elizabeth Forsythe Hailey titled "A Woman of Independent Means".  I had read this book long ago when my aunt Mary suggested I read it. It was published originally in 1978.  I loved the book then and after decades passed I reread it and loved it even more. I found out that a television mini-series was made from this book in 2008 so I bought the dvd and had wanted us all to gather to see the film version of the book. (It's 4 hours long).  Finally we were all able to be together and start to view the adaptation. It was fun to be together drinking cadillac margaritas 

and catching up on our own lives. 

 


 
 


 



 We ate lunch 



and celebrated Mitra's upcoming birthday with a Boston Cream pie that Marion had brought.

 


Making a wish...

May all your wishes come true dear Mitra-joon


 


Tre stagioni per sempre.

 

We were able to watch the movie for an hour. Now we will pass along the dvd for us each to finish on our own. What a wonderful day for friends to be together.  

 

Here is a short synopsis of the story: 

"At the turn of the century, a time when women had few choices, Bess Steed Garner inherits a legacynot only of wealth but of determination and desire, making her truly a woman of independent means. From the early 1900s through the 1960s, we accompany Bess as she endures life's trials and triumphs with unfailing courage and indomitable spirit: the sacrifices love sometimes requires of the heart, the flaws and rewards of marriage, the often-tested bond between mother and child, and the will to defy a society that demands conformity. "

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin