Thursday, October 12, 2023

"Chances Are" Music Evokes Memories

 


I was asked what song brings back a particular memory of my youth. There are many. I collected those small records which were called 45’s and I had a record player. Music was a big part of my teenage life. I went to dances every Friday night at the high school gym. Getting ready for the dances was a ritual which started on mondays. I sewed a new dress for each dance. Music was always playing either on my record player or my turquoise transistor radio. My hair was teased and sprayed with aqua net hairspray. I loved a cologne by Avon called “Topaz”. I was always feeling thrilled and excited and nervous in a good way anticipating Friday night. I always went to the dances with my bff Mary. We took our work shifts in the coat check room together and liked looking at who was getting asked to dance. When they’d announce last dance every girl hoped someone they liked would ask them to dance. Usually girls would be in a group and sometimes they’d whisper to you “he’s walking this way.” Sometimes the stars aligned and you got tapped on the shoulder by the boy you liked. The song that I loved that reminds me of those years, “Chances Are” by Johnny Mathis. I’ve always been a die hard romantic! Same question for you. What song brings back a particular memory to you?

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin