Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Gao Pei Quote

 "Every night when I was 4 or 5 my grandmother described the dresses that women wore in the old days.  And i pictured them before I fell asleep. ..I always wanted to use my creations to convey that beauty conjured up by the tales from my grandmother.  This is the earliest memory of fashion." 

 


 

Child hood experiences are the foundation of Gao Peis creativity. Although she was born during the Cultural Revolution - an era of uniform clothing and muted palettes- her grandmother's bedtime stories about the embroidered fabrics of the Qing dynasty provided an important link for Gao Pei to China's imperial past. These memories left a lasting impression on the designer and speak to the emotional power of her choices of color, material , and embellishment.

 



"Learning to make beautiful clothes was a strong desire of mine even as a child. And it hasn't changed since. I think it's the happiest thing for me.  My life purpose. You might say. "  





"Somehow we will always end up carving our own paths- and on the way have triumphs and disaster."

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin