Monday, June 12, 2023

Sansei Rocker Concert

 

 

 


 

 


A heartfelt thank you to all the band members who contributed to yesterday’s “Sansei Rocker” Behind the curtain concert. Words cannot express how this moment in time brought me back to my youth, and touched my heart with your music. Especially grateful for your thoughtful tributes to Sansei Vietnam veterans (those that made it home and those that gave their lives in service to our country. ) Thank you also for your musical tribute and video honoring my late cousin David Jingu who was a member of your band. Your rendition of “He’s not heavy he’s my brother” while the video played brought tears to my eyes. Thank you with all my heart to Harry Manaka whose heart and soul was at the core of this concert and whose book " Sansei Rocker” captured what it was like to be a part of the music scene in the 1960’s and ‘70s. Harry you’ve written a very important book for the Japanese community and beyond that to the community as a whole and world at large. Your book is an in depth, informative view of what it was like to be a third generation Japanese American “Sansei” intrinsically involved in the music scene of that era. Yesterday's concert and the symposium the year prior are moments in time I will always hold close to my heart. (Important thank you to all band members:Gerald Ishibashi, Royce Jones, Bobby Flores, Wayne T. Wakai, Harold Payne, John DePatie, Richie Gajate Garcia, Charles Ruggiero. Your musical talents go beyond extraordinary)!.


 
We were able to snap a photo with Harry the creator of this concert and author of Sansei Rocker. 




So many wonderful songs of the 1960's and '70s.


Harry gives a moving and most emotional talk about our cousin David which proceeded a video of David in the band while the group played "He's Not Heavy, He's My Brother".  

 


 





No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin