Monday, January 8, 2024

Childhood Memories Potato Salad and Auntie Rae's Oven Baked BBq'd Ribs

 

 

 

 


Every summer as a child I would spend two weeks in Altadena with my mom’s sister (my auntie Rae and uncle Walter Naritomi.) Their children Pati close to my age and her younger sister (my late cousin) Jan. Uncle Walter worked in produce and auntie Rae was a full time homemaker in the early days. It was always the best two weeks full of fun and laughter especially at night when uncle Walter came home from work. He would take us for long rides in the car on those hot summer nights and ask us what we wanted to do, bowling, tennis, get ice cream cones. He was a real joker and loved to make us laugh. Auntie Rae made wonderful dinners and my favorite was her oven baked bbq ribs. When I told my cousin today that I was making potato salad and longed for her mom’s bbq ribs she said “Here you go” and she sent me her mom’s recipe for those ribs!

 


 


 


 

 I made them tonight out of some cubed pork loin I had in the freezer. The taste of that sauce brought me back to summer nights at the dining table with my uncle and aunt and cousins. They would always have big glasses of ice tea with dinner. I sat directly across from uncle Walter. One time I had just taken a big gulp of tea when he really made me laugh. I sprayed my mouth full of tea across the table onto his face and onto his plate of food. He didn’t miss a beat, wiped his face and said it’s a good thing I’m so hungry as he continued to finish his dinner and say “so what do you kids want to do tonight for fun! “

Here's a picture of auntie Rae and Uncle Walter circa 1950's.
 

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin