Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Not Just An Ordinary Monday Part 1

This week on Monday I left the house early to buy flowers. I had a date to meet my brother, Randy at the cemetery where our parents are buried. He was planning on tidying up the grave site , pulling overgrown weeds and placing flowers around the gravestone. I was happy he asked me to join him.





The sun was shining beautifully in the morning. It's a pretty spot here, peaceful and serene.



We have alot of family members buried here and I walked around to see everyone and say "hello". I didn't feel sad although I was filled with nostalgia. As you may know I am fortunate to come from a very large and close-knit family and I think often of the colorful characters who filled our lives with such love and laughter who are now gone.




Randy came prepared with a bucket, tools for trimming and even a weed whacker which made trimming some over grown weeds an easy job. The grounds are well kept up but we still got on our knees to polish the granite and to arrange some flowers at our parents site.



I love the inscriptions on this gravestone. For our mom it reads: "Loving Wife, Mother and Grandmother" , and for our dad: "Devoted Husband, Father and Grandfather. The line on the bottom reads: "Forever in our Hearts".







I'm glad we had this day to visit here. I think of my parents often and miss them alot, especially during the holidays.


Once our visit here was complete we were off to lunch.

I had been hearing alot about the food trucks around town serving all kinds of interesting ethnic foods. I had even investigated these things on the internet and youtube. I found a place I wanted to try which featured asian fusion dishes. The reviews on Yelp were intriguing and positive for a place called "Cha Cha Chili". *



People said their "Korean tacos" were the best. The reviews also mentioned that this was just a small hole-in-the wall place just a few miles outside of downtown Los Angeles and that parking might be difficult at the noon hour. Armed with the address we were on a mission.






Very soon we saw this sign and although the tiny parking lot was full we got a spot on the street close by. Lucky because I was hungry!





Here we are at Cha Cha Chili's!











I found the menu a little confusing but basically they have a combination Mexican--Korean fusion going on here. That means things like tacos, chimichangas (fried burritos), burritos with a twist. Things like "Kim Chee quesadillas" and stuffed crabmeat Jalapeno peppers deep fried etc. fill the menu. Even traditional things like "sliders" or "angus cheeseburgers" can be surprising because you choose the type of spicy ingredients, types of meat with funny names like Kalbi or bulgogi. Other choices are spicy pork,chicken or fish.











We ordered one beef short ribs and one bulgolgi beef taco. I thought these were really good with just the right amount of heat.



These are spicy pork sliders.



My brother ordered an angus beef cheeseburger teriyaki style.



There are stuffed crabmeat jalapeno poppers battered and deep fried. ....I know...but you only live once.

Inside the little place there are a few tables. We had a good view of the flat screen tv which features a constant stream of "K-Pop" music videos. I must live under a rock because I had never heard of the current musical phenomena called "K-Pop".


You may ask "What is K-Pop?" Well here is how one internet site addressed that question:


"K-pop or Korean pop music refers to not only types of music but to a musical movement that swept South Korea in the early 1990s and continues to dominate. Much of the music is similar to what you’d hear on American pop radio stations, though more often sung or rapped in Korean. In fact, early versions of Korean pop leant heavily on certain American forms, like R & B, hip hop, and a little bit of rock and techno. Boy and girl bands, sometimes called bubblegum pop are very well received, but so are the contributions of older artists."-http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-k-pop.htm





Well this is how the first half of my not so ordinary Monday went down. I'll tell you more tomorrow about the 2nd half of my unusual day.


No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin