Wednesday, September 20, 2023

The Mariachi Music Brings Back Memories

The other day I saw a video of a mariachi band made up of all Japanese musicians who have dedicated their musical careers to mariachi music and performance. *  I can relate wholeheartedly to their love of Mariachi music. Growing up in East Los Angeles close to Mariachi square this sound was happy music. I also grew up listening to other Mexican singers and groups like Los Panchos. My family comes from Texas and people would laugh because I’d say I clean house to Mexican music. It makes me happy and reminds me of my grandma who spoke Japanese,English and Spanish. She had to learn when she settled in Texas where few people spoke Japanese. She used to sing Cielito Lindo when she’d cook. 

 

*"Well, about twenty years ago, Osamu Hosegawa traveled to Mexico and learned how to sing rancheras–a style of Mexican song. He loved the music and went back to Japan to start a band. The rest is history." 

 

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin