Saturday, August 17, 2019

Grandma Goes to June's Beauty Shop

I woke up thinking about my appointment with the "hair dresser" today. A much over due hair cut. It made me remember something about my grandma Jingu. I could write a book about her life, all the things I learned from her (we shared a bedroom from the time I was four years til I was eighteen). Every saturday she would go to " June's beauty shop". Then on sunday's grandma would be all gussied up for church in her hat and gloves. I had to laugh this morning when I said to myself, "Todays the day I'm gettin' myself to the Beauty Shop grandma!"

*   She had a standing appointment every Saturday at June's beauty shop. At the beginning of every year June would pass out little calendars with a different hairstyle featured for each of the months. Grandma would put them in her purse and when she got home she gave her calendar to me. Speaking of her purse she called it her "percy". In her percy she always kept a cotton hankie and a small bottle (very tiny bottle of perfume). Her favorite perfume was Chanel No. 5 and when I was growing up I loved it too. When I went to high school dances I'd sometimes sneak a quick spray of Chanel no. 5 on my neck and wrists. During the week I used my perfume which was Avon "Topaze" but for a Friday night high school dance I wanted Chanel No. 5. When I smell either of those scents it reminds me of high school and my grandma too.


See the source image
See the source image

 See the source image

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin