Friday, August 23, 2019

Reflections on our 38th Wedding Anniversary

My friend Mitra has been traveling in Europe for the past month. She just emailed me that today she is taking the train with her husband from Austria to Italy (Florence destination via a stop in Venice). I remember taking a similar train trip in 1978 with Mike. I wrote her this morning saying I still remember that train ride with all it's romance and magic. It's amazing how many years have passed so quickly. I don't think I could have imagined at that time what the future held for me with Mike. I do remember taking a picture of him in front of so many major monuments. Trying to freeze time with this guy I had been with for three years. This morning as we celebrate our 38th wedding anniversary (actually 41 years together)a particular line from the Beatle’s song "Long and Winding Road"comes to mind:
“A long and winding road that leads to your door
Will never disappear
I've seen that road before
It always leads me here
Lead me to your door…”
Life is certainly a long and winding road. May we be blessed with many more shared adventures on this journey through life.

I include a few photos of that 1978 first trip to Europe for Mike. There is one photo with our friends Paul and Arja. We met Arja that summer. On the way back from Italy we took the train from Zurich to Paris and shared a train compartment with Arja. She was meeting up with her husband in Paris where he was studying. From that long train ride we talked and talked and then she invited us to join she and Paul for a drink. We exchanged addresses and from 1978 on have been the dearest of friends. We named our daughter Aria after her.(Arja is a finnish name but pronounced the same as Aria). Through the years we and they have visited each other and enjoyed the company of each other's children.Travel does this. It bridges worlds and opens opportunities to create wonderful everlasting friendships.



 Image may contain: 1 person, standing and outdoor


 Image may contain: 1 person, standing and outdoor


 Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, standing and outdoor


 Image may contain: 3 people, including Jocelyn Yamadera Cassano, people smiling, people sitting, table, drink, child and indoor


 Image may contain: Jocelyn Yamadera Cassano, smiling, closeup and indoor

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin