Saturday, August 17, 2019

Another Grandma Jingu Story -I'm a Texan!

Another grandma Jingu memory from the "Teahouse of the August Moon" filming days. Although she was born in Japan she was brought to Texas by my grandfather as a young bride. There she made her home in a beautiful Japanese Tea Garden where she raised her 8 children. She considered San Antonio her home and was so proud all her life to be called "a Texan". During the filming of Teahouse she said Marlon Brando used to eat in the Commissary by himself. He called my grandma "Mama-san" and he liked her very much. Many times she would say "Brando-san sat with me at lunch, only me." My grandmother was a funny character. She would often puff out her chest and place her arms on her waist when she was about to tell you with pride something she felt was important." So on this day when she was having lunch with Brando I imagine she did just that when she announced to him: "Brando-san you know I'm a Texan!" She came home and told us that and then she said, "You know what he told me?" "What did he say Grandma?" She responded "He said, "Mama-san I like you a lot but I HATE Texans!" Grandma couldn't get over that!

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin